Baby African elephants spend 20 to 22 months in their mother's body before they see the light of the world. Female elephants have the longest gestation period of all mammals.
Elephants are known as being thick skinned. However, their skin is so sensitive, they can even get sunburnt. That is why elephants often throw several layers of mud on themselves. This pleasant 'cooling pack' also combats the scorching heat. While elephants cannot hear any better than other animals with their huge ears, they help them to cope with the African heat. When they fan with their ears, the blood cools down and provides them with refreshment.
The Schleich figures are modelled with attention to detail, lovingly hand-painted with care, and provide children with educationally valuable playtime.
- Premium Quality
- Motif: African Elephant, Female
- Schleich Figurines are Modelled in the Finest Detail
- Helps Children Learn While They Play
- Suitable for Children Aged 3 to 8 Years
- Scientific Name: Loxodonta Africana
- Global Home: Africa
- Conservation Status: Vulnerable
- Primary Habitat: Forest, Savanna, Shrubland, Grassland
An elephant herd often consists of ten to twelve animals and is led by an experienced female.